Thanks for stopping by Michele’s radio show. Below are some of the tips we discussed on the show for setting up your WordPress blog. Our wish is that you have a successful and abundant 2009 and that your business exceeds all of your expectations. Best wishes for 2009!
Breakthrough Business Strategies – BlogTalkRadio.com
Date: Monday, January 19, 2009
@ProsperityGal (Michele on Twitter)
@Deauxmain (Bruce on Twitter)
Must Have Plugins to Start Your WordPress Blog:
- All in One SEO Pack – Out-of-the-box SEO for your WordPress blog.
- Dagon Design Sitemap Generator – Generates a fully customizable sitemap
- Dagon Design Secure Form Mailer – WordPress version of my secure php form mailer script
- Exclude Pages from Navigation – Provides a checkbox on the editing page which you can check to exclude pages from the primary navigation.
- Google XML Sitemaps – This plugin will generate a sitemaps.org compatible sitemap of your WordPress blog which is supported by Ask.com, Google, MSN Search and YAHOO.
- Google Analytics for WordPress – A free service offered by Google that generates detailed statistics about the visitors to a website.
- Sociable – Automatically add links on your posts, pages and RSS feed to your favorite social bookmarking sites.
- WordPress Automatic Upgrade – WordPress Automatic Upgrade allows a user to automatically upgrade the WordPress installation to the latest one provided by wordpress.org using the 5 steps provided in the WordPress upgrade instructions. View my WordPress Automatic Upgrade Video Tutorial.
- Yet Another Related Posts Plugin – Returns a list of the related entries based on a unique algorithm using titles, post bodies, tags, and categories. Now with RSS feed support!
Recommended WordPress Themes:
- Revolution2 – Professional WordPress Themes (These are the ones I have been using)
- WordPress Remix – Premium Theme that offers WordPress as CMS experience
- One Theme – Premium WordPress Themes
- WooThemes – Premium WordPress Themes (also have some FREE themes)
- iThemes – Premium WordPress Themes
- WordPress Themes – 542 FREE themes last time I checked
Recommended Web Hosting
Good Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Information
seomoz.org – The Web’s Best SEO Resources – Tons of SEO information and tools. You will need to sign up for a free account.
Link Building Notes of an SEO Kindergartner – 19 pages filled with highly effective link building tactics shared by the coolest Mozzers
- Where to look for links
- How to get links
Using Voice Recognition or Speech Recognition Software for Blogging in WordPress
Most people speak over 120 words per minute but type less than 40 words per minute. What if you could speak your blog, instead of typing it. Think about using speech recognition or voice recognition software to make blogging easier. Once your software has been set up and trained to recognize your voice patterns, you can use it to dictate your blog posts. It learns to recognize your voice instantly and continually improves the more you use it. This can dramatically speed up the time it takes to get new posts up. Speech recognition software can type up to 160 WPM (words per minute) with 99% accuracy. Not too shabby, so give it a try.
- Windows Vista Speech Recognition – Free with purchase of Windows Vista operating system (built in)
- Nuance – Dragon NaturallySpeaking Speech Recognition Software –Starts around $99 and has many different purchasing options for Windows or Mac.
Screen Capture and Making Tutorials for WordPress
There are many times that you may want to take a screenshot of something to put in your WordPress blog or on your website. You may also want to find a way to make short tutorials, whereby you can record video of onscreen action, showing your users exactly what you’re doing. Well, I’ve found a great tool for doing just that. It’s called Jing. Jing is a free application that allows you to make screen captures or even video tutorials in 5 minute increments. Your captures or videos can be saved to your local hard drive or uploaded to Screencast.com. This software is made by TechSmith…the makers of Camtasia Studio. I love this application and encourage you to try it out to see for yourself.
- JingProject.com – Free software that adds visuals to your online conversations.
- Screencast.com – a TechSmith solution for business and academic professionals looking to manage and share videos, images, documents, or anything else online.
All to often we see videos that people make that would be pretty good videos, but the camera is so shaky it makes us drunk just to watch it. Steadicams (or camera stabilizers) are attachments used to capture smooth looking video even when the camera and camera operator are in motion. The camera operator may walk (or even jog), move through tight hallways and doorways, and even climb up and down stairs without shaking the camera.
There are professional video stabilizers on the market to remedy this situation…but they ain’t cheap. One is called Steadicam, and starts around $1500. Well, I found a way to make great videos without spending an arm and a leg on a solution to make your camera steady. It’s called Steadycam, and you can make one yourself for under $14.00. Johnny Chung Lee has a website devoted to showing you exactly what you’ll need to build it, and then shows exactly how to build it for under $14. Johnny does an excellent job and his design is brilliant. If you are not the handyman type, you can purchase the complete Steadycam for $39.95 from Johnny’s site…still a great deal. So check out the Steadycam and start making smooth moving videos today.
Checking to see how my site is ranking in the search engines for my main keywords has always been a pain in the butt, but no more. I found a really cool Firefox plugin that checks my rankings in Google, Yahoo and Live with the click of a button. It does have a few setup steps, but once that’s done…it’s a snap. You just put in your domain name, and list of keywords or keyword phrases, then press the start button. You’ll have your ranking results in minutes. You can also download your search resulting into a CSV file.
It’s a free rank checking tool for Firefox called Rank Checker, by SeoBook.com. Download the plugin for Firefox and start checking your site rankings today.
279 Days to Overnight Success
I came across a really interesting WordPress blog this morning by Chris Guillebeau at http://chrisguillebeau.com. His blog is The Art of Non-Conformity – Unconventional Strategies for Life, Work and Travel. He writes about how to change the world by achieving significant, personal goals while helping others at the same time. I found his e-book before I actually found his website. His e-book is 279 Days to Overnight Success, in which he describes how he became a full-time writer in under 10 months. I really like what Chris has to say, and encourage you to visit his blog and download his e-book.
WordPress Tutorials – for Newbies to Pros
Here are a few of my best links to WordPress Tutorials. These are great resources that will help the Newbie to the Pro.
Your ONE membership gives you access to members-only content for ALL our Plus sites:
At $9 a month (or $22 for three months, or $78 per year) it’s a fantastic deal. And if you don’t love it, no problem, because your membership comes with a 100% money-back guarantee within the first month. But with over 3,000 happy members, we’re sure you’re going to love Plus!
– Another good collection of WordPress Tutorials. Check it out. Awesome stuff.
Twitter for WordPress Plugin Tutorial
I like the Twitter for WordPress plugin, so I made a quick tutorial on how to install it in under four minutes. It’s really easy to install and configure, so please take about 3 minutes and watch the video.
WordPress Database Backup
A few weeks ago I was experimenting with a new plugin when something went wrong. I was getting an error page when trying to view my WordPress plugins. After trying many things to get it to work I had to use something that I thought I’d never need…my Backup. I have been doing automatic WordPress backups for a while now, and really wasn’t 100% sure it would work if I needed it. Luckily it did. My backups are done weekly and emailed to me. I had to find my latest backup and restore it using phpMyAdmin in my cPanel. It worked like a charm. I lost my most recent post which was done between backups, but I was grateful that was all that was lost.
So the lesson I learned was to ALWAYS have a recent backup handy. If you post daily, you need to backup daily or twice daily. If you post more often than that, you probably need to backup hourly.
Here is a video tutorial of how to install the WordPress Database Backup plugin. It’s quick and easy, and may save your butt like it did mine.
How to add a video to WordPress
There are tons of ways to add a video to WordPress, but I’m going to show you how to do it using the Smart YouTube plugin. It’s really simple, so just take a look at the video tutorial I made on How to Add a Video to WordPress.
Preferred firm in the Custom Website Design category at WebsiteDesignersList.com